Elements of an Apology
From Rosalind Wiseman’s “Queen Bees and Wannabes”
1. Apologizer must have a genuine understanding of the “crime.”
2. Talk about the apologizer’s actions only.
3. No “last licks” or burying another insult within the apology.
4. Given without qualification (“I wouldn’t have done it if you had just…”)
5. Apologizer and apology must be genuine.
6. Apology’s are given without any expectation of a return apology.
7. Apology’s are given with the understanding they may invoke further recriminations.